RE: [asa] biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@verizon.net>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 11:29:24 EDT

Hi Bernie:

Many of the themes in the OT are carried over from Akkadian legend which
is not surprising since the nation of Israel is of Akkadian descent.
Inanna's descent to the underworld where she lay dead hanging on a nail
for three days before being brought back to life by the god Ea is one
example. Dumuzi (Hebrew Tammuz) was a shepherd according to the
Sumerian king list and according to legend, and Christ was the good
shepherd. Moses was set upon the bulrushes in the same manner as Sargon
with other parallels in their lives. The Trinity is paralleled by the
Akkadian triad of early gods. And so forth.

The serpent and the sacred tree are themes seen often in legend and on
cylinder seals and decorative pottery during that period of Sumer and
Akkad from the flood at roughly 2900 BC to Abraham and the destruction
of Ur around 2000 BC. Since the Garden of Eden is first in the order of
historical events it could be that the legend surrounding Adam and the
Fall became incorporated in succeeding stories. Or it could be that the
serpent and the sacred tree, the Tree of Life, the date palm, were
applied retroactively back to the story of the Garden. I don't know how
to delineate between those two possibilities.

If the Holy Spirit can appear in the "bodily shape of a dove, and angels
can appear as men when they came to warn Lot, then I see no logical
reason the devil couldn't appear to Eve as a serpent. Further had Satan
appeared as an "angel of light" it would have given credibility to his
words. Coming from a lowly serpent it was only the force of a clever
argument that was her undoing. Even dark powers seem to play by some
set of rules.

Dick Fischer, GPA president
Genesis Proclaimed Association
www.genesisproclaimed.org