Re: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 09:50:41 EDT

I don't think this is a queston of "natural evil" per se, as a car isn't
natural. But your concern obviously is valid. My approach to this is to
wonder what technology would have been like absent the fall. We tend to
think of technology as a sort of "discovery" or "invention" -- someone
discovered the uses of fire, someone invented the wheel -- but there is a
sense in which technology is also "revelation" -- everything we learn and
discover is already known to God, and nothing we invent surprises God. Why
is it that, during most of human history, people lacked technologies that
today we consider basic and life-saving, such as antibiotics? In some
sense, I think this is a result of sin. I believe technologies like
penicillin would have been available to humanity much sooner and easier in
the "garden," whether that is "literal" or a "figurative" theological
construct. If humanity were in perfect fellowship with God and each other,
what would, say, our transportation technology look like? I'd speculate
that it would be green, efficient, and safe -- not because the laws of
physics would be different, but because unbroken human fellowship with God
and with each other would have produced such technology.

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School