Re: [asa] (fall) biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 07:58:24 EDT

The view that the seasons resulted from an event within human history--the
Fall or the Flood are the usual suspects--is at least as old as the 17th
century. William Whiston, e.g., assigned the cause to a comet, the one that
caused the Flood. It seems to have been a popular view, apparently based on
a very old Jewish tradition (as far as I can tell), that the creation of
humanity took place at or around the autumnal equinox, and that in an ideal
creation days and nights would be equal in length. Human sin, on this view,
led to the inclination of the earth's axis.

As I imply, I am not very familiar with the details; if there is a full
history of this concept, I haven't seen it.

What lies behind this, as far as I can tell, is the belief that paradise
would not entail a changing world--not even one in which change is cyclical
in fairly minor ways that may be beneficial, such as the seasons. But, I
don't know.

My own view is, that this view of perpetual spring (or fall), as it were,
is related to the very old tradition, which I take as axiomatic, that God
created baseball. That's almost self-evident, of course, but I have
sometimes encountered people who doubt this, and I have heard of even a few
who completely deny it. Everyone knows that God made the heavens and the
earth "in the big inning," as the Scriptures say (and, Michael, please note
that the Hebrew for "inning" here is explicitly in the singular, so that no
competent exegete would conclude that the author really meant "innings,"
i.e., cricket. After all, this was before the Fall, and that dreadful game
appeared later as a corruption of the truth.

Taking this fact and coupling it with a premise about natural
theology--namely, that God's character and nature are revealed through the
creation--and it is not difficult to prove that God is left-handed. But,
that's for another day.

Ted