Re: [asa] biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 10:51:30 EDT

Just on the unfairness of the recent representative / federal model --
yes -- but OTOH, just about any model of original sin seems unfair in
the abstract, doesn't it? I'm not sure it's any more or less fair to
the Australian aborigines if they were 10th generation descendants of
the original people or person who fell or contemporaries of him /
them. Either way, there is guilt imputed to and / or inherited by
them that they did nothing to earn.

I should be clear that I think original sin is a Biblical doctrine and
that ultimately God's judgments are fair and just. But whatever model
we have for how original sin is imputed / transmitted, it can't elide
individual free will, it can't ignore God's omniscience and
providence, and it probably can't be explained in a way that we in our
finiteness will find totally satisfactory.

The bigger problem for the recent representative model in my mind is
whether those aboriginal peoples, not to mention the widespread
neolithic cultures of the west and near east, were "human" prior to
Adam. Clearly, the unity of the human race -- the fact that every
human being has a unique dignity and responsibility precisely in
virtue of being human -- is fundamental to Biblical anthropology. But
even this is something of a problem for the other models -- at some
point, there were "people" who were not "Adam." Perhaps God's
relationship to those beings is something we can only speculate about,
akin to His relationship with angels. Regardless, that all people of
any race are fully human is a foundational Biblical concept.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law