RE: [asa] biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: Roger G. Olson <rogero@saintjoe.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 15:28:55 EDT

Bernie,

What's "real dust"? Definitions are essential to any serious conversation.
 Actually, you need to distinguish "dust" vis-a-vis "real dust". And,
more importantly, you need to define what it means that the LORD God
formed man "from the dust of the earth (adamah)." *How* did the LORD God
(YHWH Elohim) do this? Did he reach down with his "hands" and make a mud
pie man? Or maybe just maybe this is a slightly more nuanced metaphor for
creation of Man's physical body from the same "stuff" that every other
living and non-living thing consists (irrelevant of elemental
proportions.)

Roger

--
Associate Professor of Mathematics and Earth and Space Science