Re: [asa] biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 14:49:17 EDT

Bernie says: Which ANE story says humans were made from blood, spit, or
semen?

I respond: In one of the Babylonian myths, Marduk kills Tiamat's husband
and uses his blood to create humankind. The Mesopotamian myth involving man
being created out of clay involves a mixture of clay with the blood of a god
killed by another god. One of the Egyptian cosmogonies involves people
being created with the tears of a god who mourns for her slain father. I
recall that one of the Egyptian cosmogonies also involved semen, though I
don't recall right now whether the semen gave rise to other gods who created
man or directly to man, or both.

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law