RE: [asa] biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 14:37:57 EDT

So Merv- I think you are saying Gen. 2 and 3 are both figurative. My original question is how could people take "the making of man by forming dust" figurative and then the immediately following story of the fall literally (real talking serpent, real tree of life, etc.). Isn't it inconsistent to take one literal and the other figurative? Sounds like you take them both figurative, so it is not an issue for you. Seems to me if the first is taken figuratively, then it is even that much easier to take the fall story figurative because it is more obvious a departure from real life.

Is the story of the fall literal or figurative? It seems to me that the vast majority of Christians go agnostic on that question, because it is so difficult to deal with the ramifications. For example, I don't think I found any definite answers from Hugh Ross' ministry (Reasons to Believe- Old Earth Creationist) on it (I didn't do a thorough search, so if someone knows his take, you can share).

...Bernie