Re: [asa] biological evolution and a literal Adam- logically inconsistent?

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 08:06:34 EDT

Many of the ancient Hebrew's neighbors had cosmogonies in which people were
originally made from the blood, spit, or semen of a god, though in some
Sumerian and Babylonian stories man is fashioned out of clay. Without
claiming any expertise in ancient near east studies, it seems to me an
anachronism to think there was a broad consensus "science" in the ancient
near east.

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:19 PM, gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@colorado.edu>wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Dehler, Bernie wrote:
>
> When the Bible says we are all made of dust (Gen. 18:27 and
>> Psalm 103:14), maybe it is referring to the ancient science when they
>> thought Adam really was literally made from real dust?
>>

> The ancients surely must have known what happens to bodies after they die
> and concluded that they were composed of dust. So I don't find surprising
> what they said about the composition of living bodies.
>
> Gordon Brown (ASA member)

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School