[asa] RE: Does Creator Imply Designer?

From: Jon Tandy <tandyland@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 19:03:41 EDT

Rich Blinne wrote:
"Some parts of God's nature are mysterious and others are not. For example,
God is a God of truth and there is no shadow of turning for Him. Presenting
appearances that are deceptive are out of character with God as described in
Scripture. When I dabbled with YEC and OEC that part of creationism and ID
always bugged me. Because of that cognitive dissonance when I dropped all
of the above my faith remained relatively unscathed. God wasn't false nor
Scripture, just the fallible interpretations thereof by people."

This argument is a two-edged sword. I just read a typical YEC article,
where it was heavily emphasized that since God is a God of truth, and since
he has given us scripture which tells us about creation, therefore Theistic
Evolution and other scientific ideas that oppose this "fact" undermine God's
truthfulness. Your argument is a good rebuttal, by pointing out the YEC
position also requires God to be deceptive in creating false natural history
that has the appearance of great age.

But the argument itself (God is a God of truth, not deceptive) on its own
doesn't prove either side. Either you have God creating an old-looking
earth and telling us that it's young (the YEC "appearance of age" doctrine),
or you have God telling us "Here is an account of the creation of the
universe" when it really isn't (the "appearance of narrative" position, i.e.
the Biblical account is either myth, or phenomenological, or ANE cosmology,
or accommodation, or pre-scientific errors of human authors, etc.).

YEC has the more persuasive argument among Christians, when they argue for
holding up "God's word" as more true than the changing theories of human
scientists. But in the end it's the weaker argument, because it takes a
human assumption about scripture (that it must equal literal and perfectly
accurate science/history) and elevates it to the place of scripture itself,
in contradiction to solid evidence to the contrary.

Jon Tandy

Some parts of God's nature are mysterious and others are not. For example,
God is a God of truth and there is no shadow of turning for Him. Presenting
appearances that are deceptive are out of character with God as described in
Scripture. When I dabbled with YEC and OEC
that part of creationism and ID always bugged me. Because of that
cognitive dissonance when I dropped all of the above my faith remained
relatively unscathed. God wasn't false nor Scripture, just the fallible
interpretations thereof by people.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA

asa" (no quotes) as the body of the message.