Re: [asa] Stars May Not Be So Fine Tuned After All

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 15:04:03 EDT

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:41 AM, George Cooper
<georgecooper@sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Rich
>

> As you have pointed out in their conclusion, they do not address the
> possibility that these stars, which they take to be in an equilibrium state,
> might not ever form. Even if stars could form they would have to survive
> their instability phase, too. Supernova would be also required in order to
> form the necessary metals for terrestrial planets capable of hosting life,
> whatever metals that might be. It would have been interesting if they
> could have shown that nucleosynthesis of carbon was possible within the
> range they found to suitable for fusion. [Carbon was not deemed possible
> until Hoyle determined otherwise, which helped BBT, ironically.]
>

> Keep in mind that there is no hint of a test procedure to determine the
> existence of another universe. Multi universes and parallel universes are
> not "science" but metaphysics. To take quantum events and conclude other
> universes can exist is a stretch of unimaginable proportions and beyond
> anything that mankind has ever done, right? [Admittedly, other universes
> might exist as I have no science to suggest they don't, but the proponents
> and authors of other universes should at least not use the "theory" tag,
> especially when they know what a theory is not.]
>

> Coope

I didn't want to overstate the case and like you I would say if the
anthropic principle is considered not "science" then multi-verse cosmologies
also are not "science" for the same reason. Nevertheless, this was a first
stab at trying to deal with the fine tuning objection to the multi-verse
hypothesis. You piqued my curiosity. Where did you hear it called a theory
instead of a hypothesis?

Rich Blinne
Member ASA