Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Thu Jul 31 2008 - 10:22:19 EDT

PvM,

"To those who are already confused it strengthened the confusion, to
those not confused it would likely have no impact."

Excellent. So my point is established - Myers HAS added to the confusion.
I thought that was worth at least a snarky moment of criticism. There was
no need to change the topic to obscure this point.

 "And why should Myer apologize for speaking his mind?"

Don't you think your attempt to further smear Catholics would resonate much
louder if Myers apologized?

Anyway, this is more spin that tries to blur the specifics. Myers has
spoken his mind against Catholics and other Christians many, many times
before, so this is not an example of simply speaking his mind. This is
different.

1. Myers used his popular, #1 Science blog to encourage his large, faceless
audience to a) invade the privacy of another's religious ceremony to b)
deceptively obtain an Eucharist for him.

2. Myers then rewarded such behavior by engaging in a widely anticiptaed
public display of iconoclasm that generated 2500 comments (a record) full of
emotion from both sides. I personally think it was a publicity stunt as part
of New Atheist Theater, but either way, Myers is now responsible for many
people associating iconoclasm with science.

Another reason he should apologize is that many of his fans look up to him
and I have seen people on the web promising to post their own copycat
versions in the future. He's setting quite the example in the Name of
Science, eh?

Let me remind you of something another PT blogger once wrote:

"Yes, science is about civil discourse. And we, as experienced scientists
are guardians and upholders of this discourse. We teach by example. If
someone is discourteous to us, we reply courteously, and continue to reply
courteously in the face of adversity. We keep to the topic and discuss the
substantiative issues raised. We do not engage in petty sexism, we do not
completely ignore someone's core argument and discuss trivialities.

We researchers have a special responsibility. We are the educators and
nurturers of upcoming young researchers, it is up to us to set and uphold
the standards so that those that follow can learn by our example. There can
be no excuse for petty sexism and avoiding the question."

"All my experience, and those of my colleagues, teaches me that it is we,
the mentors, who are responsible to act like mentors. And what mentors do is
address the central question, not carry on with trivialities."

"The mentor role is not a incidental add-on to a researchers life, it is a
central part of it. We abandon this at our peril." - Ian Musgrave

-Mike