RE: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme (evolving society, for Gregory)

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 21:54:09 EDT

Bernie,

This is not really a thread I want to participate in because I'm working on it professionally (for academic publications) and it would probably be wrong to show that stuff here now. I can only ask Bernie what makes him think that society *does* evolve (other than analogy with 'organic' things and the simple 'change-over-time' false equivocation)? Does he have any idea what he's talking about with the question he is asking?

For that matter, who has he dialogued with, consulted, asked questions to, argued with in order to come to that conclusion? He claimed 'I told myself,' but what does that mean - independent knowledge that nobody else has? I'm tempted to equate Bernie's sentence with 'I tricked myself' or 'I deluded myself without first seeking knowledge before judgment,' but then would have to chatter with him about it. So why bother?

Are your academic degrees in human-social thought, Bernie? If so, which fields? If not, how many academic hours or credits of courses in human-social thought have you taken? I need to know this before what I say on the 'society evolves' trope can be conveyed to you in the land you now dwell with respect to this topic (we all live in/on respectfully different lands, right?). Who have you ever read that writes about change in societies? Or are you just asking for a journalist's depth response? In other words, I'm not sure you're in a position to accept what I can offer on this topic with an open mind. If you can convince me, I'll respond accordingly, under another thread title, one that doesn't involve the word 'me-me'.

Btw, the word 'behaviour' is yours and doesn't belong in any short answer I'd give on the topic.

Gregory

p.s. actually, I love ducks when they waddle in the trail of their parents and dive in the water, but they still do quack just to quack sometimes