Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 17:54:50 EDT

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi PvM,
> Do you think this stunt was more likely to dispel or to add to the
> science=atheism confusion? It's a simple question

To those who are already confused it strengthened the confusion, to
those not confused it would likely have no impact.

Of course to those who see atheist==science (such as many ID and YEC
proponents), this will indeed add to the confusion but then again,
they were already confused. Some indeed may believe that their faith
benefits from continuing this confused Meme and to those Myers actions
may indeed seem to add to the confusion.

What Myers 'stunt' has done is to expose some catholics and catholic
organization as behaving foolish and speaking of evidence, do you have
any evidence to support your claim that it strengthened the
science=atheism meme? After all, you seem to hold others to standards
of evidence, can you yourself deliver?

And why should Myer apologize for speaking his mind? Has he asked for
the removal of people from their job for exercising their freedom of
speech? In fact, I am sure he believes that he has done nothing
requiring an apology. Do you think the same applies to those catholics
who foolishly argue why Myer should be silenced or why his actions do
not count as 'free speech'?

I think that rather than strengthening the science==atheism meme,
Myers has exposed a far more foolish response.

I hope that Mike has not returned to typecasting people....