Re: [asa] Philosophical Musings on Heaven & the Problem of Evi

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 16:47:41 EDT

You are correct, Gordon. I was being flippant in asking whether the infinity
was countable or uncountable. I was reacting to the attempt to reason
without defining terms. As I pointed out, there was also a failure to define
"best".

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM, gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@colorado.edu>wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, William Hamilton wrote:
>
> 1) Because there are, theoretically, an infinite
>>> number of universes God could have created instead of
>>> this one, it is logical contradiction to say that God
>>> could have created the "best of all possible worlds",
>>> since being a part of an infinite set of
>>> possibilities, there would always be a better
>>> possibility.
>>>

>> Not necessarily. Suppose this is the best of all possible worlds. That
>> doesn't mean there cannot be an infinite number of worse worlds. As an
>> aside
>> I might ask whether he means a countable infinity of worlds or an
>> uncountable infinity.
>>

> I am not sure where you are headed with this. Williams's error was in
> assuming that an infinite ordered set couldn't have a maximum element. It
> doesn't matter whether the infinity is countable or uncountable. The closed
> interval [0,1] of real numbers from 0 to 1 including 0 and 1 has 0 as a
> least element and 1 as a greatest element. This set is uncountable. If you
> look only at the rational numbers in this interval, you have a countable
> infinity of elements, but still the same maximum and minimum as with the
> other set.
>
> Gordon Brown (ASA member)

William E (Bill) Hamilton Jr., Ph.D.
Member American Scientific Affiliation