Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: j burg <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 14:13:40 EDT

On 7/30/08, Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Burgy,
>
> I think the problem with it (as a scientific concept) is that really it
> doesn't amount to much more than describing a catch-phrase or idea that
> spreads between people (from mind to mind). Fine to use the word just as a
> shorthand for that ( idea that catches on), but to pretend it's a scientific
> concept is a bit weak. "

I don't see that using it "as a scientific concept" is anything more
than "using it as a shorthand for "an idea that catches on. IOW, I can
describe how an idea catches on in scientific terms and even measure
its acceptance rate. So if I happen to call ita "meme" while doing so
-- that seems OK. It's just a word after all.

Burgy