Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 13:35:04 EDT

Hi PvM,

"I see no real relevance between the actions of Myers and the so called
atheism = science confusion."

Then we simply see things differently. It would seem rather obvious to me
that when the most public and recent example of iconoclasm is committed by a
scientist on his #1 "science blog," a blog praised by Nature and many
scientists, you have helped to entrench the science = atheism confusion.

"As to laying the blame on atheists, you perhaps are unaware with how
leading ID proponents have milked this confusion for socio religious
purposes? Seems to be a common trend I guess."

There is plenty of blame to go around, PvM. Leading ID proponents have been
able to milk this confusion for socio religious purposes precisely because
they do not have to invent people like Dawkins, Myers et al. As I noted,
Ken Miller explains this well in his first book (did you read that
chapter?).

"Science may lead to atheism but that of course is because of the
foolish position by many religions to not accept scientific findings
and students finding out that science is right after all. What is one
to do when raised to believe that the earth is young or that science
cannot explain the bacterial flagellum, only to find out exactly the
opposite."

I don't think many people become atheists because of science. But that's
another topic.

"Thanks to Myers, we now know that thousands of catholics seem to have
forgotten that their religious faith is one of forgiveness not one of
vengeance."

Since Myers is your friend and fellow blogger over at PT, I can understand
your reluctance to criticize him. But must your defense be premised on
further smearing Catholics with a broad brush? Do you have any evidence
that thousands of Catholics are engaged in acts of vengeance?

-Mike