Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 13:01:00 EDT

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi Iain,
>
> Yes, that's how I used it. I don't think it has any scientific content.
> It's just a handy label and easier to type out than 'common public
> perception.' But I think Greg has an interesting point in that a whole
> new field of pseudoscience has been inspired by Dawkins. :)

I assume you are referring to the ID movement here? Yes, it seems
unfortunate that some, have caused much harm to science and religion
through confusion of Dawkin's arguments and position. Much of ID, as
has been shown several times now, finds its origins in the conflation
of methodological and philosophical naturalism. Sad really that the
words of an atheist have caused hundreds of people to take ID
seriously as a science and a religion when in fact it lacks contents
as the former and is unnecessarily risky as the latter. ID, like its
brethren YEC, may have the unintended consequence that it makes
religious people look foolish and that religious people will abandon
faith when confronted with the facts of science.