Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 12:57:12 EDT

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hi PvM,
>

> "The confusion that science is atheism is unfortunate but not surprising
> given the state of education and religious indoctrination in this country."
>

> Indeed. And what also adds to the confusion is the manner in which vocal,
> atheistic scientists preach about science leading to atheism. Ken Miller
> nicely explained this in his first book, Finding Darwin's God.
>

> "However, we should not oversimplify the issue as science is atheism, and
> certainly not by pointing at an atheist who also happens to be a scientist.
> Of course, for some, the idea that science is atheism is comforting."
>

> I'm not oversimplifying any issue when I note that Myers publicity stunt has
> worked to entrench the confusion. Thanks to Myers, thousands of Catholics
> now know one thing - the man who deceptively obtained a Eucharist wafer in
> order to publicly desecrate it is a scientist who hosts the #1 "science
> blog." Are you under the impression that Myers stunt has helped people to
> see the error in the science=atheism equation?

I see no real relevance between the actions of Myers and the so called
atheism = science confusion.

As to laying the blame on atheists, you perhaps are unaware with how
leading ID proponents have milked this confusion for socio religious
purposes? Seems to be a common trend I guess.

Science may lead to atheism but that of course is because of the
foolish position by many religions to not accept scientific findings
and students finding out that science is right after all. What is one
to do when raised to believe that the earth is young or that science
cannot explain the bacterial flagellum, only to find out exactly the
opposite.

Thanks to Myers, we now know that thousands of catholics seem to have
forgotten that their religious faith is one of forgiveness not one of
vengeance.