Re: [asa] How theistic evolution was explained to kids in 1964

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 12:31:02 EDT

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>wrote:

> Suppose I believe God is indeed the Creator of all. Does that mean that
> evolution, whatever that means, is right? The knowledge of God as Creator
> says nothing of what He created.

Of course not. Where have I said that (or indeed, where does the writer of
the original quote say that?). I think you are reading into the text what
isn't there. All he is saying is that evolution shows that certain things
happened. The evidence for it is very strong. Therefore if it is God who
is running the show, then the strong evidence is that this is His method of
running it.

> Linking a "why" with a "how" in one sentence is puzzling. It is neither a
> theological nor a scientific proposition; it is, instead, a synthetic
> proposition. That is all I have been saying.

Why is it puzzling? It simply describes two types of question we might
ask. One of them can be answered by Science. The other can't.

I've no idea what you mean by a "synthetic proposition". It's a proposition
in the philosophy of science, in that it proposes what science can and
cannot explain.

Iain