Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 11:18:34 EDT

Burgy,

I think the problem with it (as a scientific concept) is that really it
doesn't amount to much more than describing a catch-phrase or idea that
spreads between people (from mind to mind). Fine to use the word just as a
shorthand for that ( idea that catches on), but to pretend it's a scientific
concept is a bit weak. Alistair McGrath, who has a great respect for
Dawkins's scientific work, is particularly scathing about the concept of a
meme.

Iain