Re: [asa] On American Catholics and science

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 10:14:19 EDT

And as you know Randy, it will continue to get more and more interesting. I
taught for three years at Baruch College, a senior college in the City
University of New York system. It was a great experience. Baruch is known
for its business school, which ranks in the top 50 nationally and attracts
an enormous population of international students -- it consistently ranks in
the top 5 U.S. colleges in terms of diversity. In a typical first year
business law class, I'd have about 30% native asian / Indian speakers, 20%
native spanish speakers, 20% native russian / eastern european speakers,
with the remaining 30% native english speakers of white, African-American,
latino, asian / Indian or mixed descent. Obviously, this is a well regarded
business school in New York with City University tuition, but I think it
represents a homogenization that will broaden throughout the U.S., to the
good.

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM, David Randall Gabrielse <
r.gabrielse@att.net> wrote:

> Ted and David,
> The historian in me really appreciates this discussion of anti-Catholic
> bias in historical terms as well as theological-denominational. Some day I
> would like to see a full-orbed history of higher education that demonstrates
> what a different world we live in post WW II/ GI Bill than that before the
> mass availability of higher education. My dissertation advisor once invited
> us to a lunch with his dissertation advisor, Henry May, who was 80 some
> years old at that point. He spoke about Harvard as a place where he and his
> Puritan stock colleauges attended while his meals were served and his room
> kept by maids.
>
> Peace,
> Randy Gabrielse
> Ames, IA
> r.gabrielse@att.net
>
> At 7/29/2008 12:46 PM, Ted Davis wrote:
>
>> My fourth and final post today.
>>
>> As for Puritan influences, again (to nuance David's comment) we agree. It
>> was typical for elite American scientists of the early 20th century to see
>> themselves as having descended from "Puritan stock," although many of
>> those
>> who claimed this were really Unitarians in their thinking--just like the
>> folks at Harvard, of course.
>>
>> No Jews or Catholics allowed, but plenty of Unitarians.
>>
>> All of that hocus-pocus going on up on the altar was so obviously
>> unscientific--how could any thinking man (and scientists were nearly all
>> men, so much so that "man of science" was much more widely used than
>> "scientist") actually believe that stuff? Of course, the Catholic
>> modernists--and the word "modernist" was probably first used to refer to
>> Catholics, not Protestants--pretty much abandoned the literal body and
>> blood
>> of Christ, at least when they weren't being questioned by the bishops.
>>
>> Ted

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School