Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 09:13:40 EDT

Hi PvM,

"The confusion that science is atheism is unfortunate but not surprising
given the state of education and religious indoctrination in this country."

Indeed. And what also adds to the confusion is the manner in which vocal,
atheistic scientists preach about science leading to atheism. Ken Miller
nicely explained this in his first book, Finding Darwin's God.

"However, we should not oversimplify the issue as science is atheism, and
certainly not by pointing at an atheist who also happens to be a scientist.
Of course, for some, the idea that science is atheism is comforting."

I'm not oversimplifying any issue when I note that Myers publicity stunt has
worked to entrench the confusion. Thanks to Myers, thousands of Catholics
now know one thing - the man who deceptively obtained a Eucharist wafer in
order to publicly desecrate it is a scientist who hosts the #1 "science
blog." Are you under the impression that Myers stunt has helped people to
see the error in the science=atheism equation?

- Mike