Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: PvM <pvm.pandas@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 30 2008 - 00:04:41 EDT

The confusion that science is atheism is unfortunate but not
surprising given the state of education and religious indoctrination
in this country. However, we should not oversimplify the issue as
science is atheism, and certainly not by pointing at an atheist who
also happens to be a scientist. Of course, for some, the idea that
science is atheism is comforting.
Scienceblogs indeed is a good source of scientific information and PZ
is no exception. Guess we should be careful not to pick and chose to
match our preconceptions.

PZ Myers' 'stunt' helped expose quite a bit indeed. Perhaps not the
best way but certainly it brought home a good point. Sadly enough many
a Christian saw it fit to threaten rather than to love, to insult
rather than comprehend. What an opportunity lost, all because of some
foolish ignorance.