Re: [asa] The Science = Atheism Meme

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 17:14:58 EDT

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, j burg wrote:

> That sounds more anti-Catholic than "atheism."
>
> It also sounds like something almost unspeakable juvinile.
>
> Burgy
>
> On 7/29/08, Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com> wrote:
>> It looks like this meme has been significantly propped up this summer. How
>> so? Well, if you'd like to see a modern example of iconoclasm, an example
>> where someone purposely desecrates something Catholics hold sacred to elicit
>> emotional reactions, where's the best place to look? Why, it's the #1
>> "Science Blog,," read by many scientists and featured in several science
>> journals. There you can find a science professor drive a nail through a
>> deceptively obtained Eucharist wafer with much back-slapping and guffawing
>> from his "pro-science" fans.
>>

>> -Mike Gene

This is an example of a common type of atheistic logic. They try to show
that some claim of some theistic religion (probably the one they were
raised in) is false, and that supposedly means that God does not exist.

Here is a list of some of the types of atheistic logic that I have run
across.

1. Some belief of some theists is false. Therefore God does not exist.
2. Some alleged proof of God's existence is flawed. Therefore God does not
exist.
3. If I were God, I wouldn't do things this way. Therefore God doesn't
exist.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)