Re: [asa] The Bible's center verse (Vernon -- please note)

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 16:08:33 EDT

Hi Burgy,

I'm glad you give me the opportunity to settle this matter once for all. The link you cite - for whatever reason - propagates misleading information with respect to certain of these AV statistics. As one who has performed the necessary research and calculations (which you may inspect at http://www.whatabeginning.com/Misc/PRS/P.htm), I can confirm the following:
  a.. There are 929 chapters in the Old Testament and 260 chapters in the New Testament. This gives a total of 1,189 chapters.
  b.. There are 23,145 verses in the Old Testament and 7,957 verses in the New Testament. This gives a total of 31,102 verses.
  c.. Psalm 117 is the shortest chapter of the Bible.
  d.. Psalm 119 is the longest chapter of the Bible.
  e.. Psalm 117 is the middle chapter of the Bible, being the 595th Chapter.
  f.. Contrary to popular belief, Psalm 118 does not contain the middle verse of the Bible. The King James Version has an even number of verses (31,102), with the two middle verses being Psalm 103:1,2
As an interesting aside, based on these results and their accompanying numerics (detailed in the page referred to above), it is possible to test the integrity of the disputed verses, Mark 16:9-20. On the evidence provided, it would appear that their inclusion in the AV is fully deserved.

Regards,

Vernon
www.whatabeginning.com
www.otherbiblecode.com