Re: [asa] How theistic evolution was explained to kids in 1964

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 15:55:01 EDT

Interesting re-discovery, Iain! Such findings tend to recall, at least for me, the wonder with which we beheld the universe as children. In my youth, there was a series about Amazing Things, one of the books was called Dinosaurs Do Amazing Things. Yet there were also books about Kids and Daredevils and Animals, etc. all doing amazing things, so I doubt that my interest in science, nature, knowledge and culture somehow became science-centric as a result of reading those books.

Just a question regarding the title of the 1964 book you cite, i.e. your opinion about it. This word 'primitive' gets a lot of flack in 20th century anthropology. I wonder if you would say that yes, there are people living in the world today who are 'primitive,' and if so, on what basis do you apply this term - i.e. what does 'primitive man' mean to you? If not, on what basis can the erasure of the primitive be justified to somehow 'level' the species of humanity as forming a common bond? It is the ethologists and zoologists who are confronting human-social thought, often contemptuously (as from 'hard' to 'soft' scholars), that requires this clarification of the 'primitive' as a legitimate or illegitimate concept in our contemporary vocabularies.

Thanks for this post,
Greg

p.s. not sure why you call this 'theistic evolution' as it really seems to be relevant merely as 'theism accepting the limited explanation of biological evolution' or 'evolution in natural sciences that is friendly to theology' rather than a 'marrying of theology with evolutionistic ideology.'