[asa] How theistic evolution was explained to kids in 1964

From: Iain Strachan <igd.strachan@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 15:25:57 EDT

I wonder how many people on the list were first inspired to take an interest
in science with the "How and Why Wonder Books" series? The first of these
books that I got as a kid was the How and Why Wonder Book of Dinosaurs & the
amazing facts presented in it were a true marvel to an 8 year-old and
sparked my lifelong interest in science. All my schoolfriends and I were
entranced by the descriptions of these enormous creatures that lived all
those millions of years ago.

Today, in clearing out the loft, I came across these books stacked away and
long since forgotten. I found the following marvellous section in the How
and Why Wonder Book of Primitive Man, written in 1964. It struck me as a
very inspiring and straightforward explanation of how to reconcile evolution
and belief in God:

---
When Darwin's books on evolution were printed a hundred years ago, many
people said Darwin did not believe in God's plan, but in a horrible universe
run by lucky accidents and greedy fighting.  They said he was making man out
to be nothing more than a brainy ape.  But these people need not have
worried.  The theory of evolution says certain things happened.  It does not
say, and it could not say, *why *those things happened.  If God made the
world and runs the world, then evolution *is *God's plan.  And it is a
majestic and beautiful plan.  With evolution, even accidents are part of the
plan of life, and even the lowest creature is part of the family life.  The
theory of evolution does not say man is only a brainier kind of ape.  It
says that for two thousand million years living forms were tried and
improved and tried and improved in preparation for the arrival of man as we
know him upon the scene of life upon the earth.
   Donald Barr - 1964
---
Just thought I'd like to share it with the list.
Iain