Re: [asa] On American Catholics and science (in defense of God?)

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 15:03:29 EDT

No one disputes that the Catholic Church has at various points in its past
history persecuted Jews, as indeed Pope John Paul II acknowledged and for
which he publicly offered repentance on behalf of the Church. The effort to
dredge that up here without acknowledging this public repentance seems to me
to smack of anti-Catholic bias.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Dehler, Bernie <bernie.dehler@intel.com>wrote:

> "In fact, it seems to have cost many a Jew his life when being accused of
> desecrating a consecrated host."
>
> For a Catholic, the host=Jesus, so it draws the same response from them as
> it would if a Christian saw Jesus physically alive today and being
> mocked/abused. But really, I think God can take care of Himself...
>
> ...Bernie

David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law
Seton Hall University Law School