Re: [asa] On American Catholics and science

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 14:06:46 EDT

Some clarification of "iconoclasm" might be helpful. While this term is now
used in avery general way, so that anyone who criticizes accepted beliefs,
ideas or practices may be called an "iconoclast," in theology & church
history it has a more limited & precise meaning. An iconoclast is literally
an "image breaker" & in the controversies in the eastern church in the 7th &
8th centuries about Christian use of images (icons), the iconoclasts were
those who wanted to get rid of images - of Christ, the saints &c. Their
opponents were the iconodules, or venerators of images. This lengthy
controversy culminated in the 7th ecumenical council which approved the
appropriate veneration of images.

With reference to the present thread, & the childish profanation of the
Sacrament that Mike reported, it's worth noting that for those original
iconoclasts the only valid "icon" of Christ was the Eucharistic elements.
They certainly would not have done anything inappropriate to a consecrated
host. The iconodules OTOH didn't think that the sacrament was an "image"
but the real thing.

The iconoclastic controversy may seem to involve rather obscure theological
matters but actually what was at issue was the Incarnation.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/