Re: [asa] Enns is officially leaving WTS: joint statement released

From: Clarke Morledge <chmorl@wm.edu>
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 18:56:40 EDT

I just finished reading Enn's I&I and I am currently working through Peter
Lillback's essay "The Infallible Rule of Interpretation of Scripture : The
Hermeneutical Crisis and the Westminster Standards", which is an in-depth
criticism of Enn's I&I.

I haven't made it completely through Lillback's essay, but I have already
run into a very things that make me cautious.

First of all, I really wonder if Lillback is always accurately describing
the position that Enns is taking. Lillback is perhaps correct on a few
counts but he often seems to me to be using a "straw man" type of
argumentation. I have heard Lillback do this before at a lecture he gave
on a completely different topic last summer. Misrepresentation of an
opposing view does not really help, even though it may illicit a desired
emotional response to defend orthodoxy.

Secondly, Lillback is enlisting G.C. Berkouwer as a chief critic against
Enns. I find this to be very curious (and confusing) since there are many
in the conservative-reformed camp who find Berkouwer's views of Scripture
to be less than orthodox; notably R.C. Sproul.

Though I personally find both Berkouwer and Enns within the boundaries of
orthodoxy, it bothers me that Lillback proceeds in the way that he does
against Enns. Berkouwer and Enns actually seem pretty close to me, though
Enns speaks more like a biblical studies person who has not really spelled
out the implications of his view in such a thorough and consistent way
that that systematic theologian like Berkouwer has.

I agree that " these documents reflect a fault line within evangelicalism
as a whole, one that is not easily closed". But unfortunately, for the
conservative response, I am concerned that the Lillback paper does not
really add towards any hope of closure.

Clarke Morledge
College of William and Mary
Jones Hall (Room 18)