Re: [asa] geo engineering

From: Rich Blinne <rich.blinne@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 09:15:31 EDT

If we were going to take advantage of aerosols we need to be cognizant
of the time scales involved. Nothing we have done anthropogenically
have the scale of large volcano eruptions. Thus, we can use the
effects of volcanoes as a guide. Volcanoes and anthropogenic aerosols
-- and this is key -- temporarily cool the planet. The effect is only
for two to three years. The effects of CO2 on the other hand last
centuries to millennia. The effects of aerosols in the 60s and 70s
have masked the long-term effects of CO2. While the aerosols have
already from coal burning have been removed the effects of the CO2
will continue to be around for a long, long, time and will continue to
if you will excuse the pun, bake in. This goes to show the term "clean
coal" is one of the cruelest oxymorons.

One of the debates has been sea level rise which many have only looked
at what sea level looks like in a few decades with the implicit
assumption that a small sea level rise somehow magically stops after
that time period. While Vice President Gore seemed to imply that
flooding shown in an Inconvenient Truth would happen soon -- which is
probably wrong -- what is uncontroversial is given projected business-
as-usual CO2 emissions it will happen eventually we just don't know
how long. This is because we don't know how long it takes to get to
equilibrium but we will get there. As Gordon Brown has already said
what is needed is lifestyle changes where the CO2 isn't put it into
the atmosphere in the first place, but that would require sacrifice.

Rich Blinne
Member ASA