Re: [asa] geo engineering

From: gordon brown <Gordon.Brown@Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 20:05:01 EDT

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, mrb22667@kansas.net wrote:

> As always --the best "engineering" will be to push our summer thermostat
> comfort levels to 80+, drive less, etc. etc. None of which purports to be a
> solution but just a push in the right direction. If any political candidates
> ever develop enough backbone to actually push a self-sacrifice message
> seriously to our nation I will be very impressed. Carter's exhortations
> actually modeled from the Whitehouse have been missing for a lot of
> administrations now.

Unfortunately, if you push a self-sacrifice message very hard, you won't
get elected. The normal strategy is to promise the voters that they can
have everything they want and they won't have to pay for it. The typical
politician can't see past the next election, and so we don't get many long
term solutions.

Gordon Brown (ASA member)