Re: [asa] speed of light

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 20:50:42 EDT

Here's a web site that gives historical values of measurements of the speed
of light and error estimates:
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae22.cfm
The first successful measurement was by Roemer in 1676. He gives the value
Roemer obtained (140,000 miles/second) but not the error estimate.
Incidently, the paper by Setterfield in Ex Nihilo (an Australian creationist
journal) has a much higher value for Roemer's estimate, and indeed would
have to in order to get the "c was infinite at the creation" conclusion
Setterfield reached by the most awful misuse of statistical inference I've
ever seen. I guess that wasn't all bad, because it woke me up to the
possibility that creationism was bunk.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:18 PM, David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone have handy an honest compilation of historic estimates of
> the speed of light? I know that the young-earth argument neglects
> measurement error and disregards physics, geology, astronomy, etc.,
> but I suspect it also misrepresents the one bit of evidence it
> actually examined.
>

> --
> Dr. David Campbell
> 425 Scientific Collections