Re: The Cosmological constant (was Re: [asa] Predestined Fame:)

From: <cmekve@aol.com>
Date: Wed Jul 16 2008 - 16:11:29 EDT

Imre Lakatos also presented evidence that the Michelson-Morley experiment was irrelevant to Einstein (and virtually everyone else) -- gaining its fame only many years later and in hindsight.? Lakatos went so far as to maintain that there were no such things as 'crucial experiments' in science (see his article "Anomalies versus 'crucial experiments'", reprinted in vol. 2 of his collected works.)? This of course also dates from the same time frame that Ted mentioned for his own expertise, as Lakatos died in 1973 (or maybe it was 1974).

When Michelson was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1907, there was no mention of the M-M experiment.

Karl
Karl V. Evans
cmekve@aol.com