Re: [asa] Reviews of Francisco Ayala's new book

From: William Hamilton <willeugenehamilton@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 20:58:39 EDT

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:58 PM, George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com> wrote:

> It might be a bit more accurate to say that the central theme of the ID
> movement is that you don't have to take biological evolution too seriously.
> You don't have to deny it (though many ID proponents do) but you can sit on
> the fence - & if you wish, ignore evidence that might push you off the
> fence. *& if you do to some extent accept evolution but
> encounter problems to which it gives rise, either in science or religion,
> you're free to ignore it or trim it to fit your preconceptions. *

I agree with George up to the part I have bolded. But it seems to me that
many of us ignore problems or trim evolution to fit our current views of
Scripture. Ideally we continue looking for a means to resolve the conflict,
through efforts to better understand the Scripture or by conducting
investigations in the problem area, or both. If we don't do that we are
letting our personal beliefs be science stoppers.

--
William E (Bill) Hamilton Jr., Ph.D.
Member American Scientific Affiliation