Re: [asa] Predestined Fame:

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 20:10:25 EDT

Hi Vernon,

Yep, I'd agree that discounting "selah" is reasonable and that the
remark about the "e" in Shakespeare is tendentious. But, then, I hold to
the view that the AV text is not divinely inspired and that its actual
wording has no linguistic/numerological significance whatsoever - so I
can afford to make such concessions.

What I don't agree with is that YOU can make such concessions and still
demand that I should see the text of the AV _as actually written_ having
some scarily amazing level of linguistic/numerological significance.

At the end of the day, Vernon, if I allow that your
linguistic/numerological arguments are valid, then all they demonstrate
is the divine origin of the VJRV (Vernon Jenkins Revised Version) and
tell me nothing about the AV _as actually written_.

Personally, my two-fold response to your approach is as follows; (1) I
reject your linguistic/numerological approach as fundamentally flawed;
and (2) I stand by the historical Protestant position regarding our
knowledge of the divine origin of the Scriptures, viz: We know Scripture
to be the Word of God by the internal witness of the Holy Spirit.

To offer an analogy pertinent to the scientific nature of the list, I
see your approach as working ONLY if you are allowed to get away with a
highly questionable "fudging" of the equations -- a bit like Einstein's
addition of a cosmological constant to "fix" the theory of general
relativity. Such a constant was required by Einstein's need to
demonstrate a point, not because of any truly scientific motive. Like
Einstein, I see you as fudging the equations to prove a point which
simply can't be proven on the basis of the evidence as it actually exists.

(and, yes, I know that the cosmological constant has subsequently been
seen as necessary - but the point is that Einstein had no reason for its
inclusion, other than to defend a preconceived position)

Blessings,
Murray Hogg
Pastor, East Camberwell Baptist Church, Victoria, Australia
Post-Grad Student (MTh), Australian College of Theology