Re: [asa] Predestined Fame:

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 17:49:49 EDT

Hi Vernon,

But you're missing the point of David's original criticism.

Your treatment of scripture is quite inconsistent when, on the one hand,
you argue that every letter of the text is numerologically significant,
yet on the other hand you have to omit portions of the text to make your
point.

More specifically, if one takes Psalm 46 AS WRITTEN in the AV - i.e.
WITHOUT the arbitrary omission of the word "selah" -- then "a careful
study of the matter" shows your argument to be just plain wrong. For the
46th word from the end of the Psalm is, in fact, "in".

There's neither a "mighty miracle of chance" nor "divine intent" nor
even any "coincidence" here - just a rather obvious effort to
demonstrate a theory by arbitrary selection of data.

But never mind, perhaps you can still make an argument -- even if
Shakin' Stevens IS a step down from William Shakespeare.

The writing of which, by the way, reminds me that Shakespeare is spelt
with a terminal "e" - so even omitting "selah" it seems your argument at
least entails the claim that God can't spell. In which case, I wonder
why we should place such enormous significance in his mathematics.

Blessings,
Murray Hogg
Pastor, East Camberwell Baptist Church, Victoria, Australia
Post-Grad Student (MTh), Australian College of Theology