Re: [asa] Suffering/Predation in the natural order

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 16:24:56 EDT

> Isaiah 14:12-15 is a Canaanite myth used used to speak of the fall of Babylonian &
> similarly Ezekiel 28:11-19 is a mythic description of primordial man used to
> prophesy the fall of the prince of Tyre. The biblical writers themselves
> demythologized these stories & used them to speak of historical events, & it
> has been a mistake for Christians to remythologize them as accounts of a
> prehistorical fall of Satan.

True, almost all of the detailed speculation about Satan's fall relies
on misuse of those passages. However, the account of the fall of man
in Gen. 3 assumes that the serpent (later identified with Satan) is
already fallen. No detail is given as to how he got that way nor
whether the event can be fit chronologically into any particular
place, so little can be ruled in or out.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections