[asa] Reviews of Francisco Ayala's new book

From: Ted Davis <TDavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 12:30:37 EDT

The latest issue of "Theology and Science" (May 2008) has several reviews of
Francisco Ayala's new book, "Darwin's Gift to Science and Religion," by a
wide range of reviewers (relative to point of view). I commend editors Ted
Peters and Robert Russell for having such a range of opinions. Reviewers
include ID advocates (Dembski, Behe), former ASA newsletter editor Walt
Hearn, atheist (of the Dawkins type) Susan Blackmore, and others. I found
the most helpful/thoughtful review to be that of Joshua Moritz, a grad
student at CTNS.

Overall, my sense from the reviews is that Ayala's book is very shallow
theologically (for its facile bifurcation a la Stephen Gould and for his
view that Darwin solved the theodicy problem), that it misrepresents ID on
some key points, and that if Ayala has any religious faith himself it's
pretty well hidden from view. That does not sound like a strong
recommendation for his book, and it isn't.

Ted