[asa] Occultism and the ASA listserv

From: Stephen Matheson <smatheso@calvin.edu>
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 14:22:57 EDT

Vernon's occult musings are wholly inappropriate for a forum such as this one, and his mere presence here is an embarrassment. But as hard as it is to conceive of something more unbecoming than his ravings, I would suggest that responding to his posts is a step in that very direction.

It's bad enough that our listserv is contaminated with pagan machinations. Let's not add to any of his threads, unless the response is in the form of a standard disclaimer that is pasted onto any post consisting of nothing but occult crankery. Please?

Steve Matheson

>>> "George Murphy" <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com> 07/13/08 1:50 PM >>>
Thereby proving the verbal plenary inspiration of the Authorized Version - or the works of Shakespeare - or something!

Since he was born in 1564 & "would have been" 46 in 1610, it's not awfully surprising that 1564 & 1610 are both multiples of 46.

But in fact Shakespeare didn't die until 1616 so the 1610 date, pulled in with the lamest of excuses, has no significance here. If the date of the release of the AV, 1611, or any other date had made the numerology work, it would have been chosen. For that matter if "selah" had had to be counted to make it work, we can be assured that it would have been counted.

I would have thought it impossible for Vernon to reduce credibility of his numerology any further than he had done previously but he's succeeded.

BTW, there's nothing new about the Ps.46 "mystery." I remember coming across it in Ripley's Believe it or Not many years ago. It's interesting but certainly says nothing about whether or not "the Lord remains aloof from his creation." (& who are the folks here who are supposed to think that he does anyway?)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/