Re: [asa] Noah's local flood?

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 16:30:03 EDT

Hi Phil,

Please forgive the delay in my responding to your comments of 27 June.

While I'm quite prepared to accept that universal-sounding language isn't necessarily _universal_, the general tenor of the Flood narrative and its aftermath, God's covenant with Noah, surely leads the unencumbered mind in that direction. Further, no amount of conjecture can overturn some facts which have yet to be considered by those participating in this discussion. The most significant of these, undoubtedly, is to be found, (a) in the Hebrew of the first of the Bible's 31,102 verses and, (b) in the Greek form of the Creator's Name (the components of which appear in Septuagint and New Testament) - both of which feature among the characteristics of three abundant artefacts, viz checkerboard, music keyboard and the cut paper size, A4 . But, in addition, the testimony of a verse from within the narrative itself is worthy of serious consideration; I refer to Genesis 8:14.

Concerning this verse, I had written in the introduction to an early webpage entitled "New for Old" (1999), the following: "The circumstances attending Genesis 8:14 are interesting: because of man's gross wickedness divine judgment has now been exercised; apart from Noah's family and the animals inhabiting the ark, all terrestial life has been extinguished by the mabbul (or Flood). We are about to read of a new beginning; the cleansed Earth is to be populated again at God's command: ... ' Come out of the ark, you and your wife and your sons and their wives. Bring out every living creature that is with you...so they can multiply on the earth and be fruitful and increase in number upon it '. So Noah came out... (Genesis 8:15-18). The previous verse therefore stands at a critical point in Earth history: clearly, it is in the nature of an _epilogue_ to the Antediluvian/Diluvian Age - to which Genesis 1:1 is the _prologue_. But it also functions as a _prologue_ to the Postdiluvian experience - of which we are part! It is therefore a matter of some significance that the sum of the 8 Hebrew words of Genesis 8:14 is the large triangular number, 2701 - and thus identical to the sum of the 7 of Genesis 1:1 (as demonstrated in earlier pages)!"

Subsequently, I had concluded, "It is clear that the verses (1:1 and 8:14) which function as a pair of 'bookends' to what may be called ' Phase 1' of Earth history are securely bound together numerically! In addition, both are inextricably linked with the Creator's Name. It follows that Genesis 8:14 must be regarded as an integral part of the 'standing miracle' which previous pages have sought to define."

May I therefore invite you to read "Beyond the Rainbow" (an updated version of the original page) at http://www.whatabeginning.com/Misc/Mabbul/Beyond.htm?

An obvious question follows: Why would the Lord of Genesis 1:1 and 8:14 use equivocal language to convey an important message concerning Earth history? Phil, perhaps you have a ready and reasonable answer. If so, I would be interested to hear it.

Regards,

Vernon

www.otherbiblecode.com

www.whatabeginning.com