Re: [asa] Suffering/Predation in the natural order

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 15:56:05 EDT

Indeed, "Why didn't God make heaven now?" is the gist of the whole "natural
evil" objection, and while George is correct in a later post; that this has no
value in answering the atheist apologetics, it can still serve to point towards
the potential incoherence of that objection.

Read Paul Brand (/Philip Yancey) and his book "Pain: the Gift Nobody Wants" for
excellent alternative perspectives on physical suffering. But my point is we
don't even have the cognitive (let alone physical) basis to begin to understand
how a world of complete eternal bliss could exist. We will need complete
transformation before we could be part of such a world. What child hasn't
thought to himself "how boring heaven is going to be if all we do is sing praise
songs --forever, no less!" (In fact many adults would think along those lines
with considerable horror as well.) That's because we keep trying to think of
Heaven in our present physical and time-bound terms which are of no use except
in trying to connect with what we *can* understand to reassure us that all will
be good.

--Merv