Re: [asa] Suffering/Predation in the natural order

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 14:31:01 EDT

I have said here before (& in my PSCF review of Anticipating Omega) that I think the idea of God's action from the future is very important & offers possibilities for rethinking a number of theological issues. It's not clear though that it adds anything radically new to the problems of suffering & evil. The fact that God creates from the future doesn't mean that the present is unreal, & evil that takes place now, natural or moral, is still evil. In addition, the Christian tradition has always held that in God's final future "All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well" as the Lord told Lady Julian.

I ought to note, in response to someone who spoke of "the argument from evil," that I am certainly not trying to present any argument for the non-existence of God when I say that we shouldn't try to sweep natural evil under the rug. But atheists who do try to make that kind of argument probably won't be very impressed by the the idea that God creates from the future. That will be seen as just a variation on the pie in the sky theme.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/