Re: [!! SPAM] Re: Re: [asa] Ignorance in all around I see...

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 10:29:11 EDT
This is exactly as I see it (less the medical expertise). It seems almost juvenile (at least from my perspective) to make the anthropocentric assumption that evil comprises "things that feel bad to me" when the landscape of Creation is so immense, existing and operating at scales that are beyond our ken, even to the extent that we can understand some bits and pieces.

"Evil" as you express it has a much more operational character, one that we can actually engage in our stewardship, probably the only definitional nuance that really matters. So much of the rest of evil, including much of evil's personification(s), seems to derive from 1400-1600's sensibilities and imagery.

Nice, compact, and informative post!   JimA [Friend of ASA]

Jack wrote:
First of all let me clarify something here.  Pain fiber cell bodies actually reside in a structure called the dorsal root ganglion.  These ganglia are at every spinal level on both sides of the spinal cord.  A pain fiber has two axons, one that leaves the ganglion and enters the spinal cord at its adjacent level to innervate the spinal thalamic column. The other axon leaves the ganglion and travels all the way down the limb.  So the taller you are the longer this axon stretches, and with longer axons the conduction velocity of the nerve becomes slower and more susceptible to injury.  So the problem with Robert Wadlow wasnt that "the normal number of nerves had to be spread over a body nearly 9 feet tall" but that the fibers going to the ankle were so long that they just couldnt do the job.  It is not that the actual number or ratio of nerves that was the problem, but the actual length of the axons of some of the nerves.

Secondly, pain is clearly not evil.  There are specific structures that mediate pain.  Pain receptors are part of God's creation.  Our bodies are created to experience pain.  Pain existed before man arrived on the scene, and clearly before sin entered the world.

The evil related to pain comes from our broken relationship with God.  We were supposed to be stewards of God's creation, which means also means caring for each other.  But this relationship between man and creation, man and fellow man, and man and God is broken.  That is evil.