Re: [asa] Suffering/Predation in the natural order

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 09:42:29 EDT

Hi Ted,

"I've always told my students that the theodicy problem can be put this way:
Why didn't God make heaven now?", and Russell's approach is to take that
route."

Indeed. The argument from evil ultimately becomes the complaint that God
did not make heaven now. So why didn't God make heaven now? Because none
of us would fit. I'm not talking about sentient beings, rational or moral
agents, or any other conceptual, generalized notion. I'm talking about
*us*.

I am also very fond of the notion that "God creates from the future, as it
were." In essence, this means our future has defined our past. Our future
entails the identity of ones who have been redeemed. It is who we are.

-Mike