Re: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper

From: David Campbell <pleuronaia@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 19:49:20 EDT

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Donald F Calbreath
<dcalbreath@whitworth.edu> wrote:
> And where would ID supporters get their papers published? The major scientific organizations have declared ID to be "persona non grata" by definition. So who would consider a paper that suggested that ID was credible? Sems to me that the deck is stacked against ID research getting published most places.

It's true that it can potentially be hard for good ID papers to get
published. At the same time, the quality of ID papers is often a
problem-there's good reason for scientific disdain of popular ID,
though that doesn't prove that all ID papers are unscientific. If the
paper doesn't explicitly mention ID, I'm not sure that too many
editors would necessarily pick up on the connection.

On the other hand, when you see where some of the papers are
published, it's hard to believe that they had good review. An Italian
journal of speculative biology? Conference proceedings on design in
engineering?

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections