Re: [asa] Tablet ignites debate on messiah and resurrection

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 17:22:56 EDT

Without hunting through Wright's book (which doesn't include this word in
its primarily Engligh index) I'm guessing that the word Christine has in
mind is either the Greek verb ani'stemi (long e), meaning to raise, or the
related noun ana'stasis, rising. Neither is used exclusively of the
resurrection of the dead, though they are commonly used of the resurrection
of Christ both in the NT & later Christian writing. (This is the root of my
older daughter's name, Anastasia.) These are Greek words & the inscription
is in Hebrew.

On the question of relevance to the NT: One thing that has been a puzzle is
the question of what specific OT text the early tradition quoted by Paul in
I Cor.15:3-7 is referring to when it says that Christ "was raised
[egegertai - note use of a different word] according to the scriptures."
What OT scripture says that the Messiah - or anyone for that matter - will
be raised from the dead on the third day? The best guess has been Hos.6:2,
"After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up,
that we may live before him." That's a stretch if just read on its own but
we have to take into account the possibility that the early Christians,
believing that Jesus had been raised on the 3d day, simply looked for a text
that they thought said that. OTOH it's not easy to get fully into the minds
of 1st century Palestinian Jews & its possible that they - & not just Jewish
Christians - understood some text that seems to us of little relevance to
speak of resurrection even before Easter. If that's the case then the
inscription under discussion & the "according to the scriptures" of the
primitive Christian confession would simply be expressions of common Jewish
interpretation of the time. (Pinchas Lapide, The Resurrection of Jesus: A
Jewish Perspective [Augsburg, 1983] is worth looking at in this connection.)

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/