Re: [asa] Tablet ignites debate on messiah and resurrection

From: David Opderbeck <dopderbeck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 09:56:00 EDT

Biblical Archeology Review published a transcription of the tablet back in
January (http://bib-arch.org/news/dss-in-stone-news.asp). Some folks on the
"biblical-studies" listserv pointed me to the following lines as the ones
possibly referring to a messiah who dies and rises in three days (lines
19-21 and 80 -- context for line 80 given here):

19. sanctity(?)\sanctify(?) Israel! In three days you shall know,*
*that(?)\for(?)
He said,

20. (namely,) yhwh the Lord of Hosts, the Lord of Israel: The evil broke
(down)

21. before justice. Ask me and I will tell you what 22this bad 21plant is,

and

75. Three shepherds went out to?/of? Israel [].

76. If there is a priest, if there are sons of saints []

77. Who am I(?), I (am?) Gabri'el the (=angel?) []

78. You(?) will save them, []

79. from before You, the three si[gn]s(?), three [.]

80. In three days , I, Gabri'el [?],

81. the Prince of Princes, , narrow holes(?) []

82. to/for [] and the

So.... ok, I have zero expertise in interpreting this sort of artifact, but
--- doesn't it seem a wee bit of a stretch to claim this definitely refers
to a tradition of a messiah who will die and rise again in three days?

--
David W. Opderbeck
Associate Professor of Law