Re: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper

From: Freeman, Louise Margaret <lfreeman@mbc.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 07:08:31 EDT

If math journals count, there is at least one example of an ID-friendly
paper being published, albeit not about a biological example, but one that
argued that the author of Genesis intelligently designed it to contain the
names and birthdates of famous rabbis who would not be born until centuries
later.

Witztum, D, Rips, E and Rosenburg, Y. (1994) Equidistant letter sequences in
the book of Genesis. Statistical Science 9 (3): 429-438.

Abstract . "It has been noted that when the Book of Genesis is written as
two-dimensional arrays, equidistant letter sequences spelling words with
related meanings often appear in close proximity. Quantitative tools for
measuring this phenomenon are developed. Randomization analysis shows that
the effect is significant at the level of 0.00002."

This paper was peer-reviewed and published, although with an editorial
comment that publication was “not intended to give the work a stamp of
scientific approval, but to give readers a challenging puzzle.” Reviewers
not “convinced that the authors had found something genuinely amazing.
Instead, what remained intriguing was the difficulty of pinpointing the
cause, presumed to be some flaw in their procedure, that produced such
apparently remarkable findings.

A rebuttal was published in 1999, with the editors commenting that they
considered the puzzle "solved." aka, no supernatural explanation was
necessary to explain the findings.

McKay, B., Bar-Natan, D., Bar-Hillel, M. and Kalai, G. (1999) Solving the
Bible Code puzzle. Statistical Science May 1999.

Perhaps some science journals would reject an ID paper out of hand. Another
possibility is that ID researchers get their findings adequately and fairly
rebutted in the peer-review stage of the process, rather than
post-publication, so the papers never actually get published. Given the
confidentiality of the peer-review process, we'll never know unless the
researchers themselves make the papers and anonymous reviews public. Which
they certainly could do through the many websites available to them.

Considering how the one Statisical Science paper was used to support a
number of dubious popular books ,in the interim between the original paper
and the rebuttal, it's hard to blame science journals for being on guard
against "Designer Did it"explanations.

Books for sale today on Amazon:
Drosnin, M. (1997) The Bible Code
As God dictated the first five books of the Old Testament, He enclosed
prophecies in a skip code--that is, every fifth letter in a sentence forms a
word. The trouble is, the Code is so divinely complex, you need a computer
to find it. Now that we have those, and author Michael Drosnin, you too can
read God's secret messages in The Bible Code. Drosnin was a reporter for the
Wall Street Journal who turned into the Jeanne Dixon of the Middle East
after "predicting" Rabin's assassination a year before it happened. Since
then, with the help of mathematicians, he's been finding the bleak Future
all over the Torah: an earthquake in L.A. (2010), a meteor hitting the Earth
(2006, 2010, 2012, or all of these), and, of course, nuclear Armageddon
(2000 or 2006). But don't write 2006 off yet, because the book says that the
Code doesn't predict the Future, it merely reveals one possible future. Hmm
Satinover, J. (1998) Cracking the Bible Code
The discovery that precise, descriptions of earth-shaking events seem to be
encoded into the first five books of the Bible has captured the world's
attention. No one in ancient times could have had such knowledge, but if no
individual put the codes there, who did? If the codes are proven to be
genuine, they would be tantamount to scientific proof of the existence of
God.
Cracking the Bible Code is the first accurate account of the codes-a story
far more stunning than has yet been told. Dr. Satinover traces the
fascinating tradition of the codes, counters sensational and inaccurate
representations, explains the controversy over their authenticity, and
clarifies their implications for our view of God, faith, and fate. Sweeping
from ancient history to cutting-edge science, this is must reading for
anyone who seeks to make sense of the codes and their meaning for humankind.

__
Louise M. Freeman, PhD
Psychology Dept
Mary Baldwin College
Staunton, VA 24401
540-887-7326
FAX 540-887-7121

So despite there being a pro-ID peer reviewed journal, which failed
due to lack of content, the argument is now that the Discovery
Institute website surely must have some relevant material.

Your claim is that I am in denial and yet the facts seem to be
strangely on my side. Perhaps you may want to take your own advice
more seriously.

Please tell us what journals refuse to consider ID papers.

So far the accusation appears to be nothing more than intellectual
laziness on the part of ID proponents to actually present the research
and/or supporting evidence.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Donald F Calbreath
<dcalbreath@whitworth.edu> wrote:
> The ID journal you mentioned has been replaced by other material. Go to
the Discovery Institute web site and look around a little. It's all right
there. You still are in denial that the major journals refuse to consider
ID papers. Ask them yourself or look at their stated editorial policies.
Then tell me the accusation is "not credible". Do the research.

> Don Calbreath

scientific organizations have declared ID to be "persona non grata" by
definition. So who would consider a paper that suggested that ID was
credible? Sems to me that the deck is stacked against ID research getting
published most places.