RE: [asa] The Myth of the Rejected ID Paper

From: Donald F Calbreath <dcalbreath@whitworth.edu>
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 20:28:35 EDT

The AAAS in 2002 adopted a resolution on October 18, 2002 that said "Therefore Be It Resolved, that the lack of scientific warrant for so-called "intelligent design theory" makes it improper to include as a part of science education;
Therefore Be Further It Resolved, that AAAS urges citizens across the nation to oppose the establishment of policies that would permit the teaching of "intelligent design theory" as a part of the science curricula of the public schools;
Therefore Be It Further Resolved, that AAAS calls upon its members to assist those engaged in overseeing science education policy to understand the nature of science, the content of contemporary evolutionary theory and the inappropriateness of "intelligent design theory" as subject matter for science education;"
Since they don't consider ID appropriate, I can only assume that they would not publish anything supportive of ID in Science.

The National Academy of Sciences in 1999 stated "Creationism, intelligent design, and other claims of supernatural intervention in the origin of life or of species are not science because they are not testable by the methods of science." So, we can assume that there will not be any ID papers in PNAS.

The American Chemical Society rejects the validity of ID, so we won't see any ID papers in the 30+ different ACS journals.

There's a start. No, nothing explicit about publishing (I'd look further, but it's dinner time and I'd like to have some time with my wife), but when a group says "this is not science", I feel it is safe to assume they would not publish any papers supporting the idea in their science journals. I suppose we could email the editors and ask - that might prove interesting.

Don Calbreath

Don